ATypI 2006: Lisbon, Portugal
Association Typographique Internationale’s 50th ATypI annual conference was held from 27 September to 1 October 2006 in Lisbon, Portugal, at Universidade de Lisboa Faculdade de Belas Artes. The conference theme was ‘Typographical Journeys’.
Built on seven hills and touched by ocean breezes, the Portuguese capital is a centre of cultural diversity with a laid-back feel and filled with architectural treasures. Lisbon is one of the most enjoyable cities in Europe and the ideal location to host the premier conference for the international type community.
Some speakers have provided copies of their slides or presentations:
- Filip Blažek: The Diacritics Project. Presentation in PDF (583 KB).
- Verena Gerlach: Going over and underground in Berlin. Presentation in PDF (1.5 MB).
- Anthony Inciong: Locating resonance. Presentation in PDF (69 KB).
- Lars Kähler: Global Type – an attempt. Presentation PDF (2.5 MB) and a QuickTime (.mov) introduction video (2.6 MB).
- Jay Rutherford: The Digital Design Image Archive. Presentation PDF (2.1 MB).
- Klaus-Peter Staudinger: Letters from Old Europe. Presentation PDF (19 MB).
- Some of the TypeTech presentations are posted on Tom Phinney's blog.
Other conference speakers are welcome to publish their presentation materials here (contact us).
For the first time in a decade, we did not produce an on-site and web newsletter this year: our volunteer team was busy or exhausted. But ATypI delegates are a loquacious lot and pictures and commentary are appearing around the web. We'll attempt to collect most of them here.
- Yves Peters posted an exhaustive illustrated report (in English) on the FontShop Benelux Unzipped blog: Thursday opening night, Friday morning sessions and afternoon sessions, Saturday morning sessions and afternoon sessions.
- Jean-Baptiste Levée posted an illustrated report (in French) on the Le Typographe blog: TypeTech Forum and Main conference.
- Dan Reynolds posted some images and links to further ATypI Lisbon resources on the TypeOff site: part 1 and part 2.
- Oleg Koshe posted an extensive illustrated multi-part report (in Russian) from the conference and his Lisbon trip on the MailArt blog: page 1 and page 2.
- Luc Devroye posted his report: text (in English) and pictures.
- VinOlga and Anette posted en extensive collection of Lisbon street lettering images on the letters.sdu site and a collection of letters drawn by conference attendees on the fontme site.
- Ana Sabino posted her report (in Portuguese and English) on the Typographias blog.
- Viktor Kharyk posted an illustrated report (in Ukrainian) on his ua_typography blog: part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4.
- Vera Evstafieva posted her Lisbon Walk images on the no-dutch blog: part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, and some more images on the ru_typography blog.
- Manfred Fäh posted some images on his ProType page.
- Jerrold Maddox posted pictures from his Lisbon trip.
- Richard Kegler and Carima El-Behairy posted their images on the P22 site.
- Student helpers Marisa Lourenço, Valter Fatia, Inês Gonçalves de Azevedo and Leonardo Xavier posted their conference pictures on Picasa: album 1, album 2, album 3, album 4, album 5, album 6.
- Various attendees have posted their ATypI Lisbon images on Flickr: Search for ATypI Lisbon images or check the ATypI Lisbon 2006 pool.
If you have blogged or shot or reported on the conference, please let us know and we will set a link.